Hosting a barbecue or afternoon tea at your home is a great way to get to know the neighbours. But there are a few things to think about before you fire up the barbie.
- Pick a date and time and make sure you give people plenty of notice.
- It might be an informal occasion, but dropping formal invitation cards in letterboxes in your street is a good idea to ensure everyone has the information they need, including a contact phone number.
- Be clear about any requirements – do you want people to bring something to share or supply their own? Are you providing drinks? Remember the Newman Futures $50 kickstarter can help you fund these items
- Be as inclusive as you can – make sure everyone on the street is invited.
- Host your event in a space easily visible from the street – on the driveway or front lawn – to encourage people to feel comfortable about dropping in without feeling like they are intruding in your home. Just remember road safety!
- Relax and enjoy the chance to make new friends close to home.